Monday, April 23, 2007

On Blogging


Ha ha. I love O'Reilly's book covers.

I saw mention somewhere today of how blogging has jumped the shark. I actually think the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark, but on a somewhat related note, my blog is having an identity crisis.

I first started this thing as a cheap and dirty way to get my comic strip online. Very soon after that carbonalley.com was born, but I thought I would use my blog as an RSS feed and to continue to promote the comic. Right away I realized that to keep my blog fresh with Technorati I would have to post more than once a week. Combine that with a compulsive need to talk about whatever I happen to be wrapped up in on any given day and there you go, consistent bloggage.

But what is a random blog worth, really? It's one in a hundred million. Everyone thinks they've got something interesting to say. I do know, however, that despite my low volume of traffic, I have come into contact with some pretty cool folks. So that really makes it worth it, as I ponder this right now.

Anyway, this blog may be evolving soon. The most popular blogs tend to be about technology and whatnot, whereas niche blogs, whether they be about cartooning, Hungarian film, or Faberge egg collections, have much fewer readers. This blog has the distinction to be the only blog about random stuff that Jeff likes, a niche that I fear is, although underrepresented, much too subjective. But we'll see. I'll be heading to NYC in a couple weeks to see some art and culture, so maybe I'll come back with a clear idea of why humans do the things they do. But in the meantime, I'm just going to post more stuff that I like.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: